Gift cards are a popular surprise for friends and loved ones. They are simple to purchase and usually come with a specific merchant already selected. They are also relatively inexpensive. However, once the card is purchased, it’s virtually useless to the recipient unless they have a supported retailer that accepts gift cards as payment. In this article, you will understand different ways to convert your vanilla gift card to a PayPal balance. This will allow you to use the card with a merchant that accepts PayPal as payment. Once you understand the procedure, you will be able to use your gift cards wherever you previously could.
Requirements for Converting Your Vanilla Gift Card to PayPal Balance
A vanilla gift card purchased at most gift card retailers or on online e-commerce sites.
- A PayPal account: This can be a registered address or an account holder who uses PayPal.
- A computer or smartphone: This is where you will enter all the information. A tablet can also be used in this process.
- A printer: This is required to print the transaction receipt.
- The gift card number and PIN: You will need this from the card when you call the card number to initiate the refund and transfer.
- The amount you want to convert: This is the amount you will refund the cardholder when it is put back into their bank account.
- Any security questions for the card number: This is where all the information will be stored for the cardholder.
- A card reader: This is where you will transfer the information from your computer to the card.
- Wi-Fi/cellular data: This is required to receive or make a phone or online transfer.
- A pen or pencil: You can use this to write down the receipt or track the transaction when it is done online.
Converting Vanilla Gift Cards to PayPal Balance for Merchant Use
This is how you convert your vanilla gift card to a PayPal balance for use at a Merchant who accepts PayPal. You will need a vanilla gift card that used at the store where you would like to make purchases. The gift card should be in the name of the person you are buying for.
- Go to the gift card retailer’s website.
- View the card’s information and select the card number and PIN.
- Complete the balance refund request. This will be in the form of a refund request.
- Print the gift card refund request form. This is needed to initiate the transaction.
- Visit a nearby grocery store and purchase items with the card.
- Take the grocery receipt with you to the store manager.
- Tell the manager about the gift card and ask for a refund.
- Keep the store receipt.
- Call the number on the gift card to initiate the refund and transfer.
- Take the card number and PIN to the retailer’s website.
- Log in using your username and password.
- Select the ‘payments’ tab.
- Find the gift card transaction and click on it.
- Click the ‘payee’ dropdown menu.
- Select PayPal.
- Click the ‘pay’ button.
- Print the payment confirmation.
- Take the payment confirmation to the cashier and request a refund.
Converting Vanilla Gift Cards to PayPal Balance for Cardholder Only Use
This is a method of cash advance on your gift card. The cardholder can use this amount as they wish, but they will have to pay it back with interest. This method is best used in a short-term situation when the cardholder has difficulties making payments on their card. If they don’t pay back the gift card amount on time, they will be subject to late fees and collection agency fees. It is important to note that there are no fees or interest charges if you use the card for personal use only. However, if the cardholder wants to use the amount for business purposes, there will be fees and interest charges as per usual terms.
- Call the number on the back of the gift card.
- This is where you will ask for the PIN to activate the card.
- Enter the PIN.
- Call the number on the front of the gift card. This will be the confirmation number.
- Pull the card that has the gift card on it.
- Enter the 16-digit number.
- Enter the PIN.
- Print out the back of the card.
- Take the card to the store manager.
- Tell the manager about the gift card and ask for a cash advance.
- Keep the gift card receipt.
- Take the cash advance receipt to the bank.
- Go to the bank and complete the cash advance transaction. This can be done online.
- Take the receipt to the store manager.
- Print a receipt.
- Take the receipt to the bank and get the cashback.
- Keep the cash or give it to the recipient.
Using Vanilla Gift Cards for Online Purchases
You will need to keep a few things in mind with this method. First, the gift card must registered with the same name as the PayPal account that you are using. It’s required for security reasons. The gift card registered to the PayPal account must have enough funds. If it does not, the transaction will declined. The gift card registered to the PayPal account must be in the name of the person or company you are buying for.
- Go to the e-commerce site where you would like to make your purchase.
- Enter the information and create an account.
- View the account settings and select the ‘card info’ tab.
- Enter the gift card registered to your PayPal account and the amount you would like to spend.
- Click ‘continue.’
- Complete the transaction and click the ‘place order’ button.
- Click ‘view order details.’
- Click the ‘cancel order’ button.
- Now Click the ‘back to account’ button.
- Click the ‘view order details’ button.
- Click the ‘cancel order’ button.
- Click the ‘close account’ button.
No matter the method you choose to convert your vanilla gift card to PayPal balance, follow the instructions exactly. If there are any issues or questions, you can call the number on the back of the card.
- How To Check Vanilla Gift Card Balance
- How To Transfer Visa Gift Card To Venmo
- How To Use A Visa Gift Card On Amazon